Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Old 11-08-2011, 05:01 PM
BigJilm!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

24" is exactly the proper size for the Criquet, I had my fingers crossed that it would work well with the engine.

Here is a quick pic of the Criquet, it is based on the Paolo Severin Fieseler Storch kit. I have a build thread on RCSB http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/....asp?TID=17049

My only concern at this time is if the 77cc is going to have enough grunt to pull a plane in the high 20 pound weight range with authority for scale STOL type takeoffs.

Tim
Old 11-09-2011, 06:41 AM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Tim That is a truly unique and cool project! I am aware of those models as shown on vogelsang aeroscale. OK about the engine. Mine is on a 91 inch 20.2 pound corsair with a 22x10 three blade prop as previously discussed on the thread. The power is excellent and I usually take off at 3/4 throttle and it will take off scale at half. The 24x10 will have more thrust and the engine is now 10% greater displacement. So there is information to ponder. -Tom
Old 11-09-2011, 08:16 AM
wingman_63

Maxam, I think the corsair fan wanting to put the new 7-77 up front is probably me. Either way, thanks very much for the pictures of your engine installation! Progress is slow with my Top Flite GS Corsair but once I have a 7-77 for it I will post the results, or more likely, post daft questions!! Thanks again. Dave
Old 11-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Maxam

I like daft questions! They sometimes can address something critical. -Tom
Old 11-11-2011, 07:56 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Just chiming in as another UMS-Seidel/EVO owner. I have a 7-70 in a 1/5 FW-190. Weight is 29.5lbs RTF. UMS tech collector ring I'm running 100% methanol with 1 quart of klotz super techni-plate oil per 5 gallons, so 5% oil content. Mcdaniel RC on-board glow system allows the engine to idle at 900-1100 rpm reliably. I am currently running a Menz Ultra 24-12 2 blade wood propeller, that has been cut down to 21" in diameter (which increases the pitch to around 15-16") @ 5900 RPM (mixture richened 200rpm from peak), Their is also a functional "cooling-fan" attached to the spinner just like the full-scale 190 had, that probably robs a good bit of power. Airplane has a realistic takeoff at full-throttle, and takes about 1 lap around the field before it gets "on step". Afterwards, the model has to be flown like a full-scale airplane. Verticals are limited to about 500, and Large scale loops are a bit difficult due to the lack of power.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:21 AM
wingman_63

Invertmart - thanks very much for your post and pictures! What a superb machine . . . bet it sounds as good as it looks. Any more pictures and maybe video (with sound) ?Over here in the UK I have just found a LHS who reckon they will be able to get me a UMS 7-77 in the next couple of weeks so the TF GS Corsair may be getting its power plant sooner rather than later. Will keep the forum posted. Thanks all! Dave
Old 11-12-2011, 07:49 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: wingman_63

Invertmart - thanks very much for your post and pictures! What a superb machine . . . bet it sounds as good as it looks. Any more pictures and maybe video (with sound) ?Over here in the UK I have just found a LHS who reckon they will be able to get me a UMS 7-77 in the next couple of weeks so the TF GS Corsair may be getting its power plant sooner rather than later. Will keep the forum posted. Thanks all! Dave
Here is the complete build thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10150741

And some videos:

Engine runs-working on getting the prop sized correctly:
http://youtu.be/LuOcvV_k9F8

The Second flight. This one was marginally better than the first flight. When i say marginally better, it had about 10mph more flying speed than the very first flight.
http://youtu.be/W_06bBr3uMc

The Fourth Flight: This one is substantially better and essentially how the airplane is configured today. I did a slight bit of re-profiling of the prop tip to taper them more and got an extra 100rpm more compared to what is in this video.
http://youtu.be/jO8jWKmD08o
Old 11-14-2011, 11:34 AM
wingman_63

. . . and thanks again! You've got a real gem there - I love it. Dave.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:48 AM
invertmast

thanks Dave. I may have the 190 sold, if that happens, the motor will be staying with me and it'll probably go on a gee-bee R2
Old 11-14-2011, 12:40 PM
nilsreinert123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been looking on the UT 7-35 for a while ,thinking of maybe putting it on my Pitts Python. Is it as good running as the 7-70 ? does it run and idle fine without glow power ?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Maxam

Nils, I have one and it is a sweet running little engine. It is very quiet too. I like mine turning a Xoar 17x8. Smooth, smooth SMOOTH! Lars loves his on his Stearman.

It is getting fun around here with these interesting planes and projects!!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:16 AM
nilsreinert123

ok! the 7-35 looks like a practical engine , not too big and heavy
Old 11-15-2011, 06:34 AM
Maxam

I went over your build thread and you are definitly a master modeller. It would be painful for me to sell a plane like that. It is true, a 30 pound warbird like and FW 190 is a lot for that engine to fly. Recall my corsair is 10 pounds lighter! -Tom
Old 11-15-2011, 07:02 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: Maxam

I went over your build thread and you are definitly a master modeller. It would be painful for me to sell a plane like that. It is true, a 30 pound warbird like and FW 190 is a lot for that engine to fly. Recall my corsair is 10 pounds lighter! -Tom
Thanks for the compliments. I had my doubts the engine would pull the plane, but i had seen another on youtube with the same engine that was 5lbs heavier and it seemed to fly the model fairly well. While i do hate to part with the model, I would rather sell it to finish a more important project (scratch built F-14D Tomcat). This engine would do great on a low to mid 20 lb airframe, which is why i'm looking into doing a Gee-Bee for it, if the 190 sells w/o the engine
Old 11-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Maxam

All, It is snowing now and I am busy in the workshop. I have been doing some maintenance on my radials. After a bunch of flights (40 or so) since my last valve adjustment I began the routine of resetting the gaps. Well after a few checks, lo and behold no adjustments where necessary. The bearings where still silky smooth but I did clean up a little bit of thickened oil around the glow plugs so I will have good electrical contact. I am hoping the engines will be available soon. Heck these engines are even fun to look at in the winter but I will be flying the heck out of them this spring. I am still deciding on what plane for the 7-35. Please chime in everybody on your current or future projects. -Tom
Old 12-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Maxam

Attention! Not sure if any of this makes sense but Advantage Hobby says the three glow radials are all in stock! They are still on the Horizon site listed as back order. Get yours today! -Tom
Old 12-11-2011, 03:18 PM
BigJilm!

Horizon just charged my card yesterday, so it looks like a monday ship for those of us that have ordered from horizon!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 07:47 PM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello guys I will be watching this thread closely as I have decided on my next plane, but still wondering what to do for an engine.  I have decided that I would like the TF P47 GS ARF, seems no one has anything bad to say about it, and I am a big fan of the P47, so it seems the natural choice.  For power of course I would love a radial, and since I found the Evo radials it seems that it may be possible, they seem to be very good value for your money. 

I posted in the P47 thread but it seems that there are not very many radial fans over there, and they all pretty much shot down the idea of putting a glow radial in the cowl.  They all pretty much shot down the idea, but I still can't shake the possibility.

My questions have pretty much been answered but I will run them by you guys again and see what you think.  As far as size it seems the 777 will fit best.  From what others have said the cowl is 10" diameter, and I think the larger 9cyl is 10", so I don't think it would fit with out modifying it.  Plus the price of the 777 is more in my range.

So as far as power is concerned, it seems you guys think it should be powerful enough.  Seems the TF P47 to come in at around 25lbs or so.  I like scale, but I also like a little extra power for those days that I just want to fly the wings off it!  You guys think it's got some extra power?

Also I am concerned with fuel consumption, large glow engines are certainly not very fuel efficient!  How are these engines?  Also I see you guys talking about methanol,  do they run more efficient on meth? (sounds like I am a drug dealer... hey you runnin meth... LOL).  I am guessing as well that with a lower oil content the mess is far better then running nitro?

These Evo/sidel engines seem pretty easy to run, this would be my first radial, and I have been running Saito engines, and various 2 strokes for many years, so I have a fair amount with singles, but this would be my first radial.

Last question is regarding mounting, the manual says not to use stand offs, but it seems some of you have used them.  I am guessing that these engines are much shorter then their single cylinder counter parts.  So I would need some kind of stand off/extension to push the engine out further for proper mounting.

So what do you guys think?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:55 PM
invertmast

Extra power.. I highly doubt it. At 25 to 30lbs weight, you will have scale power from the 7-77. My 190 could use a few extra hp.

Fuel consumption is great. A 6 to 7minute flight only uses around 12 to 14ounces of fuel.

I wouldn't use standoffs. The engine is allot of weight to hang on only 3 bolts with that much leverage.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:03 AM
Maxam

DHC, Are you sure that arf is that heavy?? Now my corsair on this thread is actually only 20 pounds and is actually bigger than the P-47, the performance is more than enough. it is powered by the old 70 cc version. With the newer 77 cc version you would have solid performance up to 25 pounds but Invertmast is right, over 25 pounds the performance might not be satisfying. The other concern is the cowl size. Check before you buy!! I like that you want to do something different. An aquantance put a Moki 150 radial in a Hangar 9 Beast and everybody jumped all over him saying what a mistake it was and yet he is delighted with the performance. -Tom

PS They are referring to those aluminum tube standoffs. Build a balsa and ply box stand off that is rigid. Look at post #44 I have pictures of my installation using cherry standoffs painted grey with dope.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:30 AM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maxam,

Actually Ithink your right about the P47, just checked the TF site and it says between 19.5 and 21.5 so hopefully it will be closer to 20lbs, or less. Iwill have another look at your post, maybe if you have time you could send me a few more detailed pictures? Idon't have the plane just yet, gonna wait and see what Santa brings... LOL. Other wise Iwill see what's left over after all the shoping, and then order it all after the hilidays and take my time building over the rest of the winter. Ialso plan to have retracts for all wheels, so that may impact the weight, so hopfully it won't be a heavy pig!
Old 12-20-2011, 12:01 PM
nilsreinert123

I have ordered an Evolution 7-35 now and it is probably in a USPS plane over the Atlantic at the moment !

I will mount it on my yellow and black Pitts Phyton.

I have bought 8% synt. oil no nitro fuel for it, but the manual calls for 10% oil the first hour , is that necessary ? what did you folks do?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Maxam

Nils, Just run it on some of the fuel you bought + some ordinary fuel added to get the oil content up to 10 or more %. Run rich with a smaller prop like an APC 17x8 but regardless of whatever fuel you use, oil well with air tool oil afterwards per the directions. You will love the 7-35, it is a sweet running little engine! -Tom
Old 12-20-2011, 07:27 PM
DamBo

Maxam

I sure am glad that you started this thread.
I just received my EVO 7-77 on Saturday.
What a good looking engine.
I have a BH 90" corsair that I have been running a DLE 55 in this summer.
I have been aching to put a radial in since I got it. Now this winter project can begin.
I had e-mailed VP products to find a local distributor of M1 methonal.They gave me a place that is 10min away and they sell it for $6 a gallon.
I am planning on mounting it on a test stand to run it and tweek it.
I had purchased some 1" 7076 aluminium rod to make the stand offs out of but, if I don't think that it will be enough surface area then I will modfy the firewall.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68592.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	1702835  
Old 12-21-2011, 05:35 AM
nilsreinert123

Yeah , i can hardly wait to hear the sound and try it out!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.