Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Weeks Solution 70WS

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Weeks Solution 70WS

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 07:27 PM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Weeks Solution 70WS

Got this off a good friend today who bought the kit in the early 90s. Put it in the when i get to it build stack and never got to it.
So now i have it. Opening it up it is all there and complete. Still taped and wrapped in the news paper dated 1992 with rotten rubber bands holding it all together.
I want to build it and give it the justice it deserves but i am having reservations. I think this kit is worth so much more then what i got it for that im feeling guilty. We both think we know what its worth.
Guess my question is if you know any history of these kits or anything that could make this a special kit i would like to know the Miles Reeds weeks kits history back then.
If there is anything special about these old weeks kits i will give it back to him and tell him the reason if there is.
If there is nothing special about it or the history ill build it and fly the heck out of it.
Enough people on here some one has to know the answer.
Thanks.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:49 PM
edp
My Feedback: (5)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I flew with and known Miles since I was a kid, I'm 58 now. Miles designed the Weeks Solution in the late '80s. He made three different sizes. He started with the 70" version. Ken Baker of D&B engines started making engines so Miles designed it to fit the 3.7 twin.
The one I'm with is the 77" and the 5.1 Twin He then built one for the 7.3 twin. These are great fliers and one of the few planes you don't need rudder to hold knife edge. It flies the IMAC maneuvers easily. He also modeled the Solution X as it had a longer fuselage.
He also modeled a Sean D Tucked Challenger with 7.3 twin. He didn't like it much saying it flew like .......
Miles kits were hand cut and sanded with selected balsa from his own 4X4 blocks. We used to go together to buy a bunk. He put the right weight in the right areas. We all wondered how he didn't blow himself up with all the fine saw dust near his water heater.
Miles worked with me to improve my aerobatic flying. I now fly Classic Pattern but I still get a lot of stick time on a few Solution Xs and his Extra 260s.
The black one is another one I get to test fly this Summer.

The following 2 users liked this post by edp:
altijack (03-29-2024), BankYank (08-03-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 04:52 PM
edp

I forgot to add that Miles passed away several years ago, He is missed. The one running joke we had with him was that at every restaurant we stopped at after a meet, it was his birthday so he would get free cake. He was over 250 years old.
The following users liked this post:
BankYank (08-03-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 05:53 PM
BankYank

Thanks EDP.
Couple nice looking planes there for sure!.
After looking at this kit more i have discovered it was made by ACE RC. So nothing special other then its a Solution and thats special enough.
Im going to build it this winter so researching engines now. Looking hard at the RCGF 70cc twin. Would go with a G-62 but i don't really like the way a big thumper will beat a airframe up.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:44 AM
edp

Miles"Pappy" Reed did sell the rights after a few years . His friend that did the plans got sick and I think a Ace then started to make the canopies. Go with the twin as it will be smoother on the air frame. The one weak spot is the wing hold down pin area. Pay close attention the the solder joints. Also beef up the hold down area in the upper wing.
BankYank (08-03-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 03:53 PM
BankYank

Thanks.Any building tips are certainly appreciated.
Why did he always say use a G62? Plane needs the nose weight or the power?
Old 08-03-2020, 05:18 AM
edp

At the time the G-62 WAS the engine to use. D&B came out and just blew it away with power and smoothness. On the down side, you do have to add weight for balance. D&Bs come w/ a ignition module and we just put large batteries as far forward as we could. We still had to add lead to the nose also. G-62s are an anchor but they are good, reliable engines.
Building is pretty straight forward. The fun is covering it. It all fully assembled, can't slide the fin and stab afterwards.
Build and you won't be sorry. It IS a good flying bipe.
BankYank (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 02:41 PM
BankYank

Oh i know its a good flying plane for sure.
My friend who gave me this kit has a Solution X but unfortunately his eye sight has grounded him for good a few years ago sorry to say. He did make me a better flyer with his friendly nagging at me. Do miss hearing him telling me to do it like this or that as the proper way to do that maneuver
He is not really ready to give things up yet and i guy can sure understand that but i will say he does have some real gems built or waiting to be built.
Ill try to keep the tail end light and hope to not ad to much weight to the front.
Thanks for all the info Ed. It really is appreciated!.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:50 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

As an owner of a 70" Reed Falcon I am glad to see that you plan to build it. I would suggest a 70cc to 80cc twin. My Falcon is powered by a 3W 70 twin and does really well at 22lbs. Currently the airplane is being recovered.

The last time she flew.

How she looks now.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 08-03-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:54 PM
edp

This what happened when I let the owner fly his plane. I flew some IMAC for him to wring it out. He thought he could do the same thing on a 180 degree outside humpty bump.........
We are now flying the last one actually built by Miles.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:58 PM
BankYank

Nice to have another opinion!
For me and my wallet i will be powering it with a RCGF or EME 70CC twin.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:01 PM
BankYank

That is painful sight to see anytime but from the looks of it, it must have been a spectacular crash!
Old 08-03-2020, 03:49 PM
edp

He panicked at the top of the maneuver and just pulled full up and it snapped and went into a full stall from 200'. There was actually a soybean in the crankcase. Kenny took it apart to go through it and there was no damage, even the crank was still well within spec.
We are flying it on the new one. He IS NOT flying any IMAC
The scary part is, I let him fly my ballistic pattern ships.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:17 PM
BankYank

Probably be starting this, this weekend as it looks rainy and windy so we will see.
What is the thinking for Aileron servos? I plan on using 4. How about Rudder and Elevator? I don't think i need super fast gobs of torque servos.
RX Battery will be a 3000mah Spektrum 6.6V LiFe.
Engine will be a EME 70CC that requires a 2S Lipo.
Im not and never intend to be a 3D flyer. Snaps, spins, knife edge kinda guy.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:16 AM
edp

Good digitals on the ailerons, but you will what some oomph on the elevators and rudder. Those are large surfaces. It doesn't take much rudder for knife edge, but needed for a good stall turn or hammer head.
I set up the ailerons for three rolls in five seconds. Rudder, all you can get ( a quote from Miles). Elevators set on the softer side on low.
I just looked closer at the prints. I also knew John Clarke, I actually built for him.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:50 PM
BankYank

Started the build today got about 1/2 done on the lower wing.
Nothing out of the ordinary although the spars did not line up with the plans. The wing ribs are a perfect match though except spar locations by about 5/16 to far back. No biggie. Lined up the ribs per the plan and started gluing.
And a picture of my friends that i got the kit from.

Old 10-11-2020, 04:46 PM
BankYank

Got the servo rails in today and some more sheeting done.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:40 PM
BankYank

Anyone happen to have pics of the center top wing section showing how it was built? Would like to see how its done for sure.
Thanks
Old 10-19-2020, 05:32 AM
BankYank

Another question. Built per plan it has "Barn Door" style ailerons that are hinged at the top.
Wondering if there is any advantage to that style over the more common center hinged aileron?
Old 10-19-2020, 07:35 AM
edp

When it was designed, you didn't have all adjustments that you do now on your transmitter. This was a mechanical way of giving you aileron differential. My Kwik-Fly had the same setup. I would still hinge at the top as it is easier to seal the gap.
I think all of Miles designs were set up that way. Even his infamous Decathlon (that was a real stinker) he only made one and he threatened to burn it. I don't really know where it ended up.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:37 AM
BankYank

Ordered the servos. Went with Promodeler servos.
Will be using the DS270DLHV servos on the tail end 235-OZ-IN @ 7.4V. Ailerons X4 will have the DS130DLHV, 110-OZ-IN @ 7.4V
Figuring some of this kit out is a real pain as there is no constant reference between the instructions, plan and parts other then general part shape to the plans. The parts are all numbered but the plans are all letters and the instructions say very little. Defiantly not a kit for anyone with little experience.
But im about 1/2 done with the second wing. Not really much to show as it would look pretty much like the top. By next weekend i should have both wings done and ready to start the fuse.
Oh Also the EME 70cc twin is here. Buddy and i will be running it later today or tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:33 AM
edp

Miles made templates for all the parts he made. The were hand cut and sanded. Every kit was the same as he built several of them. I would go with Miles parts, they fit. The prints may have changed during the copying processes. As for instructions, Miles built as he went, so he may have left some information out. Also since it was sold off, who knows what was changed.
That's what happens when too many people get into kit making. Miles made the parts, John inked the plans and I know someone else had their hand in it. I think w/ all today's cad and newer programing, this would have not been a issue.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:44 AM
BankYank

I believe the print and plans are original to the design. Parts match the plans pretty good. I do have parts not on the plan that i have no idea where they go right now. Usually with this type of build on a old kit/design i tend to figure it out as i go.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:00 AM
edp

Sent you a PM
Old 10-24-2020, 06:42 AM
BankYank

These are the parts i cant see on the print where they go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.