Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Old 09-05-2016, 04:02 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Hey guys I just saw this and called Danny to be sure..

The Pro Version of the Bavarian Demon Cortex is available. Its being distributed through www.demonaero.com

Soon to be available through

https://www.aeropanda.com/products/b...mon-cortex-pro
http://www.espritmodel.com
http://www.dreamworksrc.com
www.Chiefaircraft.com

And other sellers soon

Price: 299$

Additional Manufacturer info:

http://www.bavariandemon.com/en/prod...nes/cortexpro/

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD]FEATURES[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  • Multi protocol input and output
  • Latest 32-bit technology
  • Up to 24 channels, 16 stabilized
  • Receiver redundancy for 2 inputs
  • iOS & Android App for fine tuning
  • Easy teach-in via TX
  • No software needed
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]WHAT'S IN THE BOX[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  • bavarianDEMON CORTEX PRO incl. adhesive pads
  • Mini USB cable
  • Connection cable harness
  • Jumper for programming
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Check it out!! More to follow
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cortexpro.jpg
Views:	6776
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	2179794  

Last edited by gooseF22; 09-05-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:07 PM
gooseF22

What I have found out so far:

Its 7 inputs and 6 outputs.. the 7th is Gain.
It can intercept serial bus data and pass the rest through, while mixing the channels you designate as the Roll pitch and yaw. so It can be installed between the main distribution and the satellite antennas such as a Central Box200 setup... This way we can take advantage of the fuse protection again.
It can be installed the traditional way as well just like the standard version, but with one more channel available. So us twin tail guys now have 6 outputs.. sweet
Programming is now done with a USB cable
Teaching process very similar, just one more step to tell it what the gain channel is.

Check out the specs.. When I get one, I will post some results..
Old 09-05-2016, 06:18 PM
gooseF22

Hitting the road for a few days to fly Stearman planes..

The system will perform best when its sandwiched between the receivers and the Central box or servo distribution.. It will add compensation on any or all of the first 16 channels.. so for instance you have a big old jet with 6 aileron servos, 4 elevator servos, 3 rudder servos, and a nose wheel servo, it will compensate on all them.. During the learning process it will recognize each and every axis and put compensation on them all if they move when its learned.

This completely changes the way we install them from the past.

For the time being, the new Web interface isn't complete yet at Bavarian Demon, so the unit will need to be mounted per the instruction card, and cannot be tweaked until the new web interface is released. Im told this is not too far away however.. The software it comes with is fully functional however and is Noticeably crisper according to Danny's first test flights..

Cant Wait.. this is the one I have been waiting for that will handle more channels and keep the poly fuses in my Central boxes active with servo isolation.

goose.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:38 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

That's great news... An active gyro.

Hopefully soon those with Jeti transmitters can remotely program the cortex pro like they do the central boxes and jeti recievers

Way to go...

David
Old 09-05-2016, 11:24 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also to be available soon in the UK

Pre-orders being taken.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:25 AM
anderhau
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LA jetguy
Hopefully soon those with Jeti transmitters can remotely program the cortex pro like they do the central boxes and jeti recievers
As i understood in the video, these units should apear in device explorer and enable programming from the radio with JETI-EX-BUS (like CB or EX-Bus enabled sensors)? Or do I have it wrong??
Old 09-08-2016, 07:20 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by anderhau
As i understood in the video, these units should apear in device explorer and enable programming from the radio with JETI-EX-BUS (like CB or EX-Bus enabled sensors)? Or do I have it wrong??
That is my understanding as well but it would be nice if they released the manual so we could see exactly how it connects to something like a CB200, etc.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:48 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not all EX bus devices show up in device explorer (as proved by the fact that if you plug in an older Jeti RX, without having updated the firmware, you often can't see it). The Cortex PRO video doesn't mention anything about Jeti device explorer.

I have no idea whether the Cortex will be visible in device explorer or not but before everyone gets over-excited, until we all get some more details, I wouldn't necessarily assume that it will just because it works with EX Bus.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:40 AM
FenderBean

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Does this unit allow 2ail 2stabs and 2ruds? Can u do bus type setups as well?
Old 09-08-2016, 12:09 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Does this unit allow 2ail 2stabs and 2ruds? Can u do bus type setups as well?
The answer to both questions is yes. But wait there's more!

What is shown here the Cortex Pro's dual serial I/O option. In this case (2) Jeti R3's are talking Jeti EX Bus to the Cortex Pro. The Cortex Pro is talking Jeti EX Bus to the CB200. All channel data is passed through the Cortex Pro to the CB200. The Cortex Pro can stabilized the first (16) channels. All servos connect to the CB200.

FYI, the same can be done with other systems/serial links. Futaba SBus, JR XBus, Graupner SumD, etc. All that is needed is a servo distribution box that can handle the required serial input.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1459
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	2180203  
Old 09-08-2016, 12:17 PM
F1 Rocket

Originally Posted by siclick33
Not all EX bus devices show up in device explorer (as proved by the fact that if you plug in an older Jeti RX, without having updated the firmware, you often can't see it). The Cortex PRO video doesn't mention anything about Jeti device explorer.

I have no idea whether the Cortex will be visible in device explorer or not but before everyone gets over-excited, until we all get some more details, I wouldn't necessarily assume that it will just because it works with EX Bus.
Full Jeti integration via Device Explorer is planned for future release. Once this is available you will be able to access all Cortex Pro tuning parameters via Device Explorer. IPhone and Android apps are also in the works.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:25 PM
number27

any manual link please?
Old 09-10-2016, 02:07 AM
F1 Rocket

Quick start guide here: http://www.bavariandemon.com/fileadm...EXpro-V1.0.pdf

Full manual coming soon.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:46 PM
JoeJr1485

Man why do you have to do this to me. hahahaha I just am falling in love all new stuff coming out and now the new cortex being able to be connected to my Jeti products like I wanted it to in the first place is just out standing. !!!!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:32 PM
gooseF22

Initial flight reports is it gets rid of the little bump some of you experience, and the stick priority is more sensitive in stock settings, and its very responsive. Season's getting short up here. Not too many weekends left, don't know If I will get one flying.. some of the southerners will have to report.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:40 PM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
The answer to both questions is yes. But wait there's more!

What is shown here the Cortex Pro's dual serial I/O option. In this case (2) Jeti R3's are talking Jeti EX Bus to the Cortex Pro. The Cortex Pro is talking Jeti EX Bus to the CB200. All channel data is passed through the Cortex Pro to the CB200. The Cortex Pro can stabilized the first (16) channels. All servos connect to the CB200.

FYI, the same can be done with other systems/serial links. Futaba SBus, JR XBus, Graupner SumD, etc. All that is needed is a servo distribution box that can handle the required serial input.
I want to underscore the comments above because it removes the channel limitations of the previous model. It can compensate on ANY or ALL of 16 channels, although one will have to be gain. So as I said above, you can have 4 rudder servos, 4 elevators, 4 ailerons, nose wheel on your monster scale bird, and so on and so on..

The learning process is similar, with exception of having to have it learn which channel is gain. When the Software is released further refinement is available.

It will be a little tricky to learn the gain if its part of your flight modes that move flaps.. My technique to kill the gyro, or having it on a kill switch will let you learn the gain easier..

So the process will be much the same with the bumping of the controls.. Also if you want the nose wheel compensated, you will have to make sure you are in the mode with steering active..

More as I learn it..
Old 09-23-2016, 10:43 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

Cortex Pro/ Jeti Initial Impressions

I have just finished swapping out a Cortex for a Cortex Pro in my Ultra Flash.

I am running a CB200 with 3 R3/RSW receivers (2 as receivers and one as the switch). I have installed the Cortex Pro between the 2 R3/RSW receivers and the CB200 using the EX-Bus interface. During final checkout with the Cortex Pro, I noticed the following:

1. The CB200 is now invisible in Device Explorer. All that is visible are the 3 R3/RSW units. Refreshing Device Explorer does not fix it.

2. All telemetry (Xicoy ECU interface, Jeti MGPS, CB200 internal data) is missing. Refreshing the sensors deleted them all and none were subsequently detected.

3. Disconnecting one of the RX inputs to the CB200 does not result in any change to the Antenna Strength or Signal Quality readings (9/9/100%, 9/9/100%). Only when disconnecting the R3/RSW input to the Cortex Pro or both Rx inputs to the CB200 do you get a loss of signal indication.

4. The Cortex Pro seems very sensitive to servo position during power-up initialization. I did the learning process with flaps up, but with flaps in any other position (Take-off or Landing Flight Mode) it will not complete initialization and will sit there with a flashing white LED due to the individual flight mode trim values. Returning the Flight Mode to Normal results in an immediate completion of the initialization routine. Following some testing, it looks like you have to be less than 15% trim points away from the learned position to get it to initialize.

I bypassed the Cortex Pro and fed the R3/RSW receiver inputs directly into the CB200 and confirmed that everything was working correctly with the basic installation. Reconnecting back through the Cortex Pro reconfirmed all the above issues.

I have not flown with the Cortex Pro, and with the above issues I am not inclined to until we get them resolved.

Can these issues be relayed back to Demon and fixes implemented.

Paul

Last edited by JSF-TC; 09-23-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:50 AM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Paul,

It a know issue that in a CB200 environment with two R3's connected through the cortex pro, no telemetry information is communicated BACK to the transmitter through the R3's which are connected to the cortex pro. . Please be patient a firmware upgrade is in the works and it should be out shortly.

Thank you.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:12 AM
JSF-TC

David,

Thank you. Any more bugs that we should be aware of?

One more observation, and this one may well be common with the original Cortex also.

Following on from the trim effect on initialization I observed, I looked at the effect of Flight Mode trim on the gyro inputs.

My Ultra Flash has a 34% elevator trim point difference between Cruise and Landing Flight Mode. With gyro gain set at 100% and moving the model in pitch, there is a significant reduction in gyro inputs when switching from Normal to Landing Flight Mode for the same pitch 'disturbance'.

I think I have deduced that this is due to the stick priority gyro settings, and it washing out the gyro inputs as you move the controls away from neutral, either by manual inputs or by trim settings. Thinking back to setting up my original Cortex in the Ultra Flash, I ended up with about 25% gain in Normal Mode, but 75% gain in Landing Flight Mode, and feeling like I could run 100% gain comfortably. I think I now see why there can be such a large gain difference between Flight Modes. Is there a way to set gyro settings where Flight Mode trim does not have this effect.

Paul
Old 09-23-2016, 11:30 AM
DEMONjoe

In regards to the reported initialization issue, I assume I know what the source is: are you using a mix with your flap setting, like applying elevator to the flap setup? If so, and if that is not only a little, then yes, it is that the gyro does not see the center it expects and will not initialize.
Simple solution: initialize with flaps up, so no mix on any other function like ail, elev or rudd.

Regarding the telemetry, as mentioned before: we are working on this and will supply an update soon, together with the software you need to carry out the update. I ask for just a little more patience and am sorry for any inconvenience this brought up.

Thanks,
Joachim
Old 09-23-2016, 11:33 AM
DEMONjoe

Originally Posted by JSF-TC
My Ultra Flash has a 34% elevator trim point difference between Cruise and Landing Flight Mode. With gyro gain set at 100% and moving the model in pitch, there is a significant reduction in gyro inputs when switching from Normal to Landing Flight Mode for the same pitch 'disturbance'.

I think I have deduced that this is due to the stick priority gyro settings, and it washing out the gyro inputs as you move the controls away from neutral, either by manual inputs or by trim settings. Thinking back to setting up my original Cortex in the Ultra Flash, I ended up with about 25% gain in Normal Mode, but 75% gain in Landing Flight Mode, and feeling like I could run 100% gain comfortably. I think I now see why there can be such a large gain difference between Flight Modes. Is there a way to set gyro settings where Flight Mode trim does not have this effect.
What you can do in the software is lower the stick priority, which will fade out the gyro slower. So lower value on that parameter results in more gyro interaction and less bypass of your controls over the stick travel.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:03 PM
JSF-TC

Joachim,

Thank you for the replies - appreciate the feedback. Looking forward to the update.

Yes, landing flap has an elevator mix to maintain trim, so it is offset from what the gyro is expecting during initialization.

Can you please confirm that it is the combination of the gyro individual axis gain along with the transmitter controlled gain that sets overall system gain.

Say I have 12 units on the pitch gain set by the software in the gyro, and can run 50% transmitter gain without oscillation.

Is that the same as running 6 units in the gyro and 100% on the transmitter, or 24 in the gyro and 25% in the transmitter?

Just thinking that I could use both banks in rate mode, and use the other gyro bank for landing flap and increase the gains to offset stick priority fade-out. As long as the combination of the gyro gain and the transmitter gain always results in the same system gain, then that would be good information to use when setting new gyro gains.

Regards,

Paul
Old 09-26-2016, 07:18 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Has this thing been checked with JR DMSS working with dual Rx's? My old style cortex is not compatible with dual RX.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:10 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LA jetguy
Paul,

It a know issue that in a CB200 environment with two R3's connected through the cortex pro, no telemetry information is communicated BACK to the transmitter through the R3's which are connected to the cortex pro. . Please be patient a firmware upgrade is in the works and it should be out shortly.

Thank you.
Can the Cortex Pro be hooked up the same as the regular Cortex (in between the CB200 and servos), if we want to retain the telemetry?
Old 09-27-2016, 10:46 AM
F1 Rocket

Originally Posted by CraigG
Can the Cortex Pro be hooked up the same as the regular Cortex (in between the CB200 and servos), if we want to retain the telemetry?
Yes it can.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.