Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Taigen V3 motherboard issues

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Taigen V3 motherboard issues

Old 11-12-2019, 09:04 PM
XchosenlegacyX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taigen V3 motherboard issues

Does anybody have any schematics on the v3 motherboard? I’m trying to incorporate it into my tank with my own receiver to control sound and other things, I hooked something up and thought I heard a “pop” but not 100% on it, didn’t smell anything burning. Now I can’t get anything to work, I took everything out, tried to get it to work with stock Taigen transmitter( it was working before I installed it). Nothing seems to work, transmitter seems to bind, I have tried multiple times, transmitter flashes then goes solid, but I can’t get any function to work on board. There isn’t any light on board, so I don’t know how to tell if board is physically bound or not. I have checks everything for continuity, nothing noticeably burnt on board, does anyone know how to check if board is bound? Also how can I trace power to possible problem? I have talked to Erik and they don’t handle any board repairs, so he couldn’t really help me there. How do I find out what’s wrong with this board!
Old 11-14-2019, 04:32 PM
Lotuswins

Originally Posted by XchosenlegacyX
Does anybody have any schematics on the v3 motherboard? I’m trying to incorporate it into my tank with my own receiver to control sound and other things, I hooked something up and thought I heard a “pop” but not 100% on it, didn’t smell anything burning. Now I can’t get anything to work, I took everything out, tried to get it to work with stock Taigen transmitter( it was working before I installed it). Nothing seems to work, transmitter seems to bind, I have tried multiple times, transmitter flashes then goes solid, but I can’t get any function to work on board. There isn’t any light on board, so I don’t know how to tell if board is physically bound or not. I have checks everything for continuity, nothing noticeably burnt on board, does anyone know how to check if board is bound? Also how can I trace power to possible problem? I have talked to Erik and they don’t handle any board repairs, so he couldn’t really help me there. How do I find out what’s wrong with this board!
I have a V2 unit with the symptoms you describe. I was moving the board from a PIV to another tank and it just stopped working. No damage visible. I also fried one with my Panther with 390 motors but I figured it simply overloaded the poor little FETs that have no heat sink to speak of, and it let out all the smoke. That one I sent to Erik, since it was fairly new, as a sample to give to his supplier.
I'll be watching this post with interest to see if anyone has and idea how to troubleshoot.
it looks like you'll need to purchase a new one, or move up to an independent mfr.

Jerry
Old 11-14-2019, 04:49 PM
XchosenlegacyX

I can’t believe the lack of support of rc tank boards in the USA. I would just get a Clark board or IBU or open panzer, but that all seems unobtainable, frankly I’m afraid of using another V3 board, if this happened to me, then you have had multiple issues. I could say it’s my fault if I retrofitted into another tank that was unsupported, but with the V3 it has the jumpers to use your own TX and through email Erik with Taigen confirmed this wasn’t out of the realm of possibility of working, so I don’t understand what’s going on, and Erik didn’t necessarily tell me I could send the board back either, felt sort of like I was beat!!
Old 11-15-2019, 06:36 AM
Shorty54

I also dont understand why we cant have full schematic and troubleshooting guides with these boards. Kind of like a tech manual.
We all know when one fails, its usually a part that costs pennies, maybe a buck n half. A good soldering iron, magnifying glass, some patience and they can be repaired.
I have repaired, in the past, my clark boards and BARC boards for under $.25 in parts. Mosfets, diodes, transitors, regulators, semiconductors, ect, should all be replaceable/repairable on these boards. Just my opinion..

Enjoy,
Shad
Old 11-15-2019, 10:29 AM
XchosenlegacyX

Originally Posted by Shorty54
I also dont understand why we cant have full schematic and troubleshooting guides with these boards. Kind of like a tech manual.
We all know when one fails, its usually a part that costs pennies, maybe a buck n half. A good soldering iron, magnifying glass, some patience and they can be repaired.
I have repaired, in the past, my clark boards and BARC boards for under $.25 in parts. Mosfets, diodes, transitors, regulators, semiconductors, ect, should all be replaceable/repairable on these boards. Just my opinion..

Enjoy,
Shad
I 100% agree. I understand that Taigen may not want to back this board, in my case, because it wasn’t a direct plug and play into a Taigen tank, which is why I didn’t try sending it back, but having this board made for them, I have a hard time believing that nobody at Taigen can help with a schematic, Erik has been very helpful from Taigen until I asked about the schematic, then it was more like, we don’t know anything, we just send them back to manufacturer. If it’s because it’s a trademarked board only for Taigen I could see, so we don’t get so many “clones” of the board as we see today with everything else, but just tell me that. I have been all over this board, everything has continuity, no burn marks, but it’s got more components and IC’s the names in the phone book, so I have no way of tracing to the problem, I realize in the scheme of things it’s not a $160 Clark, but I’m skeptical as I said, to repurchase board, seeing as others have also had problems
Old 11-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Its mainly a safety thing. We don't want to do repairs on the boards and have floating around 2nd hand stuff. At $50 for a replacement it really isn't worth it shipping both ways and to a repair center to have it done. I save all bad, defective, or damaged boards and even transmitters and they are returned where they can be examined and taken into consideration for the next batch. I have done this since I started actually. If the factory doesn't know how the boards fail and don't have it there in front of them it is hard to improve on the next batch/revision. Unfortunately I can't really cover them when going in a custom install or different brand tank but I always try to do my best with questions. The factory doesn't provide me with any repair materials nor have I asked for it honestly. It may be a small part that needs to be repaired but I've seen MANY, MANY hobby shops burn down since I started from incorrect repairs, charging, etc. For that reason I do offer the motherboard by itself to try and keep the cost down a bit. If the customer has the know how to repair the part then please be my guest, but repairs we do not offer at this time.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:41 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I wonder if there's a business anywhere that repairs electronics boards? I have two boards for my asiatam Opel blitz that are fried, and i know it's a simple fix, but way beyond my capabilities. At $120 a pop I can't afford to keep replacing them, and one of the disadvantages to our hobby is having to deal with places in other countries, so things like language barriers can be a problem, so I would be ecstatic to find someone I could send this board to for repair. Even if it costs me $60 to get it fixed, that's still just half what a new board would cost. So here's where one of you cats jumps in and makes my day by telling me there is such a magical place, and they even have magic smoke in the bottle if they need it. .
Old 11-15-2019, 02:55 PM
XchosenlegacyX

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Its mainly a safety thing. We don't want to do repairs on the boards and have floating around 2nd hand stuff. At $50 for a replacement it really isn't worth it shipping both ways and to a repair center to have it done. I save all bad, defective, or damaged boards and even transmitters and they are returned where they can be examined and taken into consideration for the next batch. I have done this since I started actually. If the factory doesn't know how the boards fail and don't have it there in front of them it is hard to improve on the next batch/revision. Unfortunately I can't really cover them when going in a custom install or different brand tank but I always try to do my best with questions. The factory doesn't provide me with any repair materials nor have I asked for it honestly. It may be a small part that needs to be repaired but I've seen MANY, MANY hobby shops burn down since I started from incorrect repairs, charging, etc. For that reason I do offer the motherboard by itself to try and keep the cost down a bit. If the customer has the know how to repair the part then please be my guest, but repairs we do not offer at this time.
I completely get that Erik, as I have said, that’s why I haven’t asked for money back or anything, I know it’s something I did, but it’s a shame because it is probably a small part, but I just don’t understand why there is such a lack of control boards period. Like I said, all the other boards seem unobtainable, open panzer would be “perfect” but I know those boards were discontinued awhile ago. I don’t really feel comfortable ordering from Australia or the UK for some of these boards, I just don’t get why here in America, we have such a lack of parts. I really would just buy another V3 board, and I may, but I would be really upset if the new board went. I’m not super savvy with electronics, so I’m really at the mercy of what’s available, and I’m just really surprised in lack of products in this country
Old 11-16-2019, 06:17 AM
Tankhobby

Received 75 Likes on 49 Posts

Fixing a PCB without a schematic is tough. I've attempted that a few times but now with surface mount and proprietary programmed parts it very tough. I would guess there may be a common failure mode if several boards are failing in the same manner. Identifying that bad component or circuit may lead to fixing many of these failures.

Has anyone fixed a board?

If you can identify a chip or chips on the board you can look up the pin out and test to see if there is voltage by measuring between the ground pin and "VCC" or the power connection. Also check to see if there is a short between the positive and negative where the battery connects. I have also seen failures due to bad solder connections or cold solder joints. These can be hard to find, connect power and carefully flex the board, it may power up. If the board is dead you don't have anything to loose.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:15 AM
XchosenlegacyX

Originally Posted by Tankhobby
Fixing a PCB without a schematic is tough. I've attempted that a few times but now with surface mount and proprietary programmed parts it very tough. I would guess there may be a common failure mode if several boards are failing in the same manner. Identifying that bad component or circuit may lead to fixing many of these failures.

Has anyone fixed a board?

If you can identify a chip or chips on the board you can look up the pin out and test to see if there is voltage by measuring between the ground pin and "VCC" or the power connection. Also check to see if there is a short between the positive and negative where the battery connects. I have also seen failures due to bad solder connections or cold solder joints. These can be hard to find, connect power and carefully flex the board, it may power up. If the board is dead you don't have anything to loose.
Thats all good info, thanks, I may try the flex, although the board is pretty rigid, the board has more microscopic pcb then the phone book has names, so I think by the time I looked up all the pinouts and tested each, I would just buy a new board, Also another thing is, I can’t really even tell if I’m bound to the board- I have done the binding procedure and the transmitter seems to bind( as led goes solid) but nothing on the board operates to even tell me if bound, and it has no led on it itself. How and where can I test to see if I’m at least bound on the board?

Old 11-16-2019, 10:40 AM
Shorty54

I use this exact microscope/camera to do "micro soldering" on pcb boards.
1080p 300X zoom HDMI to a flat screen monitor. It makes it very easy to find poor solder joints and burned components.
Mosfets can be hard to see damage. Just a tiny melted dot on them can be a failure. Good lighting and a good magnifying
glass works good. As you say though, for $60 get a new one. For fun you could try and fix at a later time though...
Old 11-16-2019, 10:41 AM
Tankhobby

If you have a voltmeter:
Test voltage between B+ and B- with battery connected, disconnect the battery it and measure the battery voltage, if there is a large difference in value the board is loading down the battery and there is probably a short somewhere.

Put negative probe on a GND solder pad (that's ground) then check the 4.2V, 3.3V and +5V pads for voltage.

If you have access to an oscilloscope, using GND as ground reference probe the DAT for digital signals (data) and CLK for a clock signal. Any signals or voltages will indicate if the board is somewhat operating or completely dead.

Then if one has a working board you can measure different point between the boards. That is still guess work without a schematic but it might be worth a try.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:42 AM
Tankhobby

NICE! I might need one of these.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:53 AM
XchosenlegacyX

Yeah I have traced the voltages, if you look you can see my little voltage marks on the board where I wrote the voltages lol. I will def see what load difference is with battery connected vs not, didn’t really think of that one . If I overvoltaged the board at one point, wouldn’t the first regulator be the one to pop, all my regulators seem to function or at least have continuity
Old 11-16-2019, 10:58 AM
XchosenlegacyX

I also do not have oscilloscope, but I do get a constant .5v across all data points, but it doesn’t change with any transmitter input, for instance, I get the constant 5v out to the sound card, but the data voltage never changes with any input from the transmitter. Also I don’t get any power change from motor outputs, be it high or low outputs, nothing from them to drive motors with sticks, but right next to it I have my 7+v looking to drive it??
Old 11-16-2019, 11:44 AM
Tankhobby

Yeah I have traced the voltages, if you look you can see my little voltage marks on the board where I wrote the voltages lol. I will def see what load difference is with battery connected vs not, didn’t really think of that one . If I overvoltaged the board at one point, wouldn’t the first regulator be the one to pop, all my regulators seem to function or at least have continuity
One of the IC's might have blown or failed. I had an IC that blew it's bottom out, literally. I traced the problem to that chip and when I desoldered it the bottom of it was cracked and burned, couldn't tell until I pulled it out.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:47 AM
Tankhobby

I also do not have oscilloscope, but I do get a constant .5v across all data points, but it doesn’t change with any transmitter input, for instance, I get the constant 5v out to the sound card, but the data voltage never changes with any input from the transmitter. Also I don’t get any power change from motor outputs, be it high or low outputs, nothing from them to drive motors with sticks, but right next to it I have my 7+v looking to drive it??
The "reciever" section of the circuitry could be bad. So there should be a single signal from the antenna that is read and then all the controlled outputs are separated from that. If the board has voltages and some clock signals I would suspect the input signal is not being decoded.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:17 PM
XchosenlegacyX

Thanks for the reply’s everybody, can anybody tell me on the pics I put on the board, where the signal would be decoded? I don’t know if it’s a common component or not. Thanks
Old 11-23-2019, 08:22 AM
Tankhobby

Thanks for the reply’s everybody, can anybody tell me on the pics I put on the board, where the signal would be decoded? I don’t know if it’s a common component or not. Thanks
Follow the input from the antenna. You would need an oscilloscope to track the signal.
At this point the only practical solution would be to have a working board and compare signals/voltages. You are probably better off getting a new board unless you are really ambitious about fixing this one.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:31 AM
XchosenlegacyX

Thanks for the help guys, yeah after messing with it, I gave up and just ordered a new board, and let me tell you Erik over at Taigen is really an awesome person(as some might already know) not only did he send me one I ordered, he sent me an additional whole v3 motherboard. I’m impressed, haven’t hooked it up yet, but I’m sure I’ll get it working this time. Thank Erik and to all who helped out
Old 11-24-2019, 03:08 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I've known Erik for about six years now, even went down to Toledo to meet Erik and his boss at an RC show, and you're right, he's a very cool cat. One of the best customer service guys out there, and an avid tanker himself with a huge collection of very nice armor. He's also a drone pilot, probably at the semi-pro level or higher, and very knowledgeable on all things FPV. In fact, my screen name was inspired by his dog. Hmmm, I guess I might be a tad biased.